PREPARING FOR YOUR VISIT:
- Arrive hydrated. Drink plenty of clean water before and after your sauna session. Water is NOT permitted inside the sauna but you are welcome to step out to take drinks as needed. We encourage ReUsable bottles and provide free Kangen pH balanced water for our members & clients.
- Wear bathing suit, tank top/shorts, or sports bra/underwear - NO nudity please. The sauna is located inside our Private Room by the front desk/boutique which provides a serene dressing area for your privacy.
- Bring your own towels (1-3 towels or wraps) one to sit on, one for wiping sweat, and one to put under your feet or at other areas where your body is in contact with the wood. (Frequently wiping away sweat helps eliminate toxins.) We have turkish towel rentals available for $2 and hand towels for $1 at the front desk.
- Bring a book to read with the interior reading light or listen to music or guided meditations on the dynamic speaker with the MP3 aux or Bluetooth connections. You can also enjoy Color Therapy (Chromotherapy) by selecting from different colors in the light system for additional healing benefits.
- Benefits are amplified when you use the sauna immediately after taking a yoga class or working out!
- Sessions are 30 minutes. For your first few sessions you may wish to do just 15 or 20 minutes, and take time to build up to the full 30 minutes. Please arrive on time so we can stay on schedule with other appointments. Use your session to relax, meditate, and escape from your everyday stress. Enjoy the benefits of your infrared sauna as you detox your body through perspiration. Massage areas of the body that ache to relieve sore and tense muscles. From time to time, wipe off the excess perspiration to allow for more intense sweating. If at any time you feel dizzy, nauseous, or any discomfort, exit the sauna immediately.
- After your sauna session is over, sit in the sauna with the door ajar for a few minutes and let your body adjust to the cooler air temperature. Drink water! Even after the sauna heat emitters are turned off, your body will still continue to perspire. Once your body has cooled down, you can exit the sauna. Rest at least 20 minutes before taking a warm shower to rinse off the perspiration from your body.
WHAT IS A FAR INFRARED SAUNA? Infrared light (experienced as heat) is the invisible part of the sun's spectrum with the ability to penetrate human tissue. Infrared sauna therapy uses this penetrating characteristic to gently warm the body directly at the core rather than simply heating the air or the skin’s surface, resulting in a variety of health benefits, including detoxification and weight loss. Infrared heat is completely safe and does not contain the harmful UV rays associated with sunlight. In fact, it is used in hospitals to warm newborn infants.
INFRARED SAUNAS: Heat That’s More than Skin Deep ~Learn what makes an infrared sauna different. The soothing power of the sauna originated centuries ago in Finland. Early saunas were often built underground and filled with steam created by dousing hot stones with cold water. Later, aboveground saunas were built from wood and warmed with smoke from stone fireplaces. In 1965, this traditional technology took another step forward when the infrared sauna was invented in Japan. Today, these rooms combine the ancient concept of healing heat with modern technology to rejuvenate people across the globe. Complex science hides behind the infrared sauna’s simple name. The room is typically fashioned from cedar or spruce and is heated up to well past 100 degrees Fahrenheit in order to increase the body’s internal temperature, like any other sauna. But the infrared wavelengths used to do so actually reach beneath the skin’s surface rather than simply warming the air. This process can activate the lymphatic system to encourage a variety of healthful benefits, from the loss of water weight to the release of toxins. And, like a traditional sauna, its gentle warmth can also lessen pain and relax the body and mind.
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM A TRADITIONAL SAUNA? Infrared heat is very gentle. The experience is similar to lying in the sun on a warm day and feeling the heat radiate to the core of your body. Unlike conventional (hot rock or steam) saunas -- which operate at more than 200°F -- infrared heat is effective at lower, more comfortable temperatures of 120°-150°F. Traditional saunas simply heat the air, creating an environment that can be unbearably hot, difficult to breathe in, and claustrophobic. If you think you don't like saunas, try the infrared difference!
Why is sweating so good for you? Because infrared sauna therapy heats the body directly rather than simply warming the air, it raises the core body temperature and produces a deep, detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where most toxins reside. Sweating is the body's natural way to heal, stay healthy and detox. Sweat carries toxins out of the body and pushes them through the pores. The more sweat you wipe away, the more toxins can come out. Infrared heat is reported to penetrate up to 3 inches deep into tissues to warm and activate cells to release toxins. It produces a sweat composed of approximately 20% toxins and 80% water vs. 3% toxins and 97% water for traditional saunas. If you find you don't sweat deeply your first time in the sauna, just wait. Your sweat will likely become more productive and healthful over time.
What is the cortisol connection? Relaxation is more important to your health than most people realize. The more "bad" stress you have, the more cortisol your body will produce. Cortisol is a "fight or flight" hormone made in the adrenal glands that raises heart rate and blood pressure and encourages the deposit of excess calories into the midsection (the "spare tire" effect). Scientific studies show that far infrared therapy may help the body maintain healthy levels of cortisol.
Can it really help you lose weight? Studies have shown a 30-minute FAR Infrared Sauna session can burn 200-600 calories! As the body works to cool itself, heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate increase. Blood flow can double from a normal 5-7 quarts per minute to as much as 13 quarts per minute. Some experts suggest that infrared heat therapy is an important complement to weight loss because as you lose weight, fat tissue can release stored toxins such as PCBs and pesticides into your body.
OTHER REPORTED BENEFITS: Research has shown that infrared heat activates complex neurological, vascular and metabolic mechanisms to mediate the transmission of pain signals and effectively provide relief for a variety of pain conditions, including chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. One clinical study in Japan reported a successful outcome for 100% of subjects with rheumatoid arthritis treated with whole-body FAR infrared sauna therapy. Infrared heat produces an increased blood flow level similar to that seen during vigorous exercise. The increased circulation can help decrease inflammation and speed healing. Wounds, burns, cuts and acne may heal more quickly with less scarring. Click for more health benefits/remedies and information about Dynamic Low EMF FAR Infrared Sauna.
Try the sauna today CYS! Your body/mind/spirit will thank you.
Disclaimer: The above information was gathered from public sources. Crescent Yoga Studio does not make any health or medical claims about the use of the infrared sauna or guarantee any specific results. We are not medical professionals and the information on this website should not be construed as medical advice. Always use your own best judgment, do your research and consult your healthcare providers when making wellness choices. Namaste’